Thursday, January 24, 2013

Etched Candle Holders by Jamie G


Files Used: Great Outdoor Tree by Olivia Myers 0974, Snowflake available in Funtime
Materials: Armour Etch (glass etching cream), repositionable vinyl,

I love the way that a candle can add that warm feeling to a house and I love having them on in my house. Unfortunately, with a 4 and 2 year-old in the house that's not the wisest of ideas. So thanks to those cute little electronic tea lights I can have some of that glow around the house without the fear of my babies getting hurt.

One evening I was watching my son with one of my candle holders and I noticed how plain it was . . . PROJECT IDEA!! Opening the tree in Funtime, I copied it so that I had 3 of them and then sized them each differently. I cut out several of each size in repositionable vinyl and placed them around the holder. I just thought that these adorable trees looked perfect with the rocks in the holder and a bit of the tea light flickering in the background as a camp fire would.



I applied a thick layer of the etching cream to the trees and then used a q-tip to apply dots to the top edge. Personally, I've found that if I leave the cream on for about 7-8 minutes and then move the cream around, sometimes applying more and then leaving it on again for another 7-8 minutes I get the best even etch. Don't be afraid to play around with it, you may find something that works better for you!



Also, don't forget to check out the images that you have available in the blue book in Funtime! There's so many and that's where I found this beautiful snowflake.


I haven't looked at plain glass the same way since I first tried etching. Once you start crafting and find a technique you like, it's really hard NOT to enhance them to your liking! :o)

Jamie Gillahan – BossKut Design Team Member
My Crafting Blog

For more projects and information, please click links below:
BossKut Gazelle Blog
BossKut Company Blog

No comments: