Monday, June 25, 2012

Chalkboard Memo Board by Becki W.


Welcome to another round of Becki's crafty corner.  Where I am all about trying out the new (to me) crafty materials available.  This month has just been one of firsts.  First time using rhinestones now chalkboard vinyl!  I have always wanted to try it out but just couldn't think of a project to use it with.  My kids are older so it wouldn't do any good in our classroom.  But, with our busy life, I really could use something to get the attention of the kids and hubby when they are raiding the fridge.  Why not put the chalkboard on there!?!

I went looking for the perfect file for my chalkboard.  I found this Framette by Boss Kut Die-Cuts.  I know this is going to sound weird but this framette reminds me of the cool talking wardrobe from Beauty and the Beast.  That's probably why I like it so much!

As you can probably tell, it doesn't look exactly like the file pictured at Boss Kut's website.  I never use files they way they are intended and always have to mess with them.  If I had used it as is, I wouldn't have been able to keep the beautiful scroll work with this vinyl.  I also wanted a little color.  So I took the scroll frame and made a shadow, that makes the whole back one piece.  I then cut the top swirly scroll out of a piece of scrapbook paper that matches my kitchen.  Now in order for the paper to not get yucky when we wipe the board off, I covered it in ModPodge before gluing it to the base vinyl.

My new chalkboard in action!  Of course, I would use pink chalk right?  I have one of those Chalk Ink Wet Wipe markers in Piggy Bank Pink.  I put a small piece of Velcro on the side of the fridge and the pen so it is readily available.

How do you like my memo board?  It's in the perfect place in our house, the most used area - the fridge.  Have any other ideas where placing a chalkboard would be a good idea?  Let me know in the comments.  I would love to hear other ideas.

Supplies:
Framette by Boss Kut

Becki Wagner

No comments: