Sunday, June 17, 2012

Magnetic Puzzle by Jamie G


Materials: Cardstock, Family Photos, Xyron laminate/magnet cartridge

With all the wonderful benefits from digital photography, I shamefully admit that after the hundreds of pictures that I take of my beautiful family, my pictures get loaded onto the computer and that's where they stay.

Both of my babies just LOVE to play with magnets on the refrigerator. They also both enjoy helping Mom and Dad put together puzzles. Soooo, that got me to thinking about this project!! I could easily combine the 2 activities using pictures from our family activties that we love the most.

I started out watching this video, available through the Bosskut Training website. Making a puzzle from an image is as simple as a print and cut!! Funtime allows you to choose from a 2x2, 4x4, 6x6, 8x8, 10x10, 12x12, 14x14, and 16x16 puzzle. For this project I created two 4x4 puzzles and two 6x6 puzzles. I wanted to keep them smaller so that it would still be easy enough for my babies to work.

After putting 2 pictures on my 8.5x11 work space in Funtime, I added in the crop marks. In the "print setup" menu I made sure that I was printing the best quality. I choose white cardstock to print my pictures on because I was getting better results than using regular computer paper.

Then using my Xyron, I ran the cardstock through the laminate/magnet cartridge. Using a deep cut blade, force 3, speed 2, and ONLY 1 PASS I set up the print and cut. My Gazzy cut B-E-A-uuuutiful!!!


Here are the first 2 pictures that cut still on the mat with a few of the pieces removed. I sized both pictures to be 4.5x6. The top photo of my son is a 4x4 puzzle and the bottom photo of my daughter and son is a 6x6 puzzle.


This photo shows a close up of just how well my Gazzy cut the puzzle pieces through the laminate, cardstock, and magnet!!!



The top puzzle piece is from a 4x4 puzzle and the bottom is from a 6x6 puzzle


I've successfully found a way to decorate my refrigerator with the ones that I love most and create a fun, learning environment for my babies!! Now I don't have to worry about losing the pictures that I've taken to digital space.
This has truly been one of my most favorite projects to date! I hope that you've enjoyed it as well and it has inspired you to find a creative, fun way to display your most cherished memories.

Jamie Gillahan – Bosskut Design Team Member


For more projects and information, please click links below:

No comments: